Monday 13 December 2010

'Memories of You' Canvas for Made With Love's DT Assignment

For this week's assignment at Made With Love, we had to use mediums on our work. I decided to do up a canvas instead. It was a comfortable size that I found at the bookstore in our neighbourhood, 10 x 10 inches and I thought I'll give it a try and I love, love, love the end look of it!



I stamped butterfly swirls from Inkadinkado's clear stamps all around the edge of the canvas. I used gesso for this as I wanted the stamped images to 'resist' the alcohol inks that I had planned to use. You may have to stamp in more gesso in order for the images to show up against a darker colored background. It was really experimental for me as it was my first attempt with these inks on canvas, so I dripped some drops of 'Pink Sherbet' alcohol ink onto a dabber and tried to rub it into/ onto the canvas. The ink turned out so red on the canvas that the stamped images hardly showed up, so I used the alcohol blending solution and dripped onto the canvas directly and then used a sponge to rub it outwards. I somehow got the hang of it and ended up dripping lightly spots of alcohol ink directly onto the canvas and blended it out instead!

A close-up so that you can see the stamped swirls...


I then sprayed the rest of the canvas lightly with yellow Maya Mist and then splattered some blue and red spots on the canvas using Tattered Angels Mists. After the canvas was dried (it didn't really take long), it was the embellishing bit with laces, felt leaves, flowers, crystals, blings and ribbons all from Prima! I also used a stamp from Basic Grey to stamp in the title, 'Memories of You' and embossed it with dark brown embossing powder! I added some punched-out butterflies and rubbed on some gold stickles onto the little rosettes for the finishing touches.





By the way, the journaling reads,' Swing Me, Upon the broken tire...'. It's a lyric from 'Kiss Me' by Sixpence None The Richer...I used it cos Adah was swinging in the pics though much of the swing has been cropped out. And finally, a picture of the mediums used...

No comments: