Sunday 24 April 2011

***Warning*** Long post with lots of pictures.

I took a number of pictures for this little altered project that I have completed over the week. I had lots of fun converting two 20 by 20 cm canvas into a shadow box frame and now it's happily displayed in my living area. I will probably admire it for a while more before I decide to bring it down to MWL for display.Lols!

This is the front of the first canvas board. I painted the canvas boards yellow and added gold mica flakes from Golden at the borders. This was followed by lots of fussy cutting of the papers from Basic Grey's Curio collection, before layering teh cut-outs on to form a garden scene. I also added chipbard stickers, Prima felt gate,a hambly ornate cut-out and the green ribbon from Websters Pages to complete the look.


This is the second canvas and I opted for a similar look as the first. There was also lots of fussy cutting and layering.



Finally, when the two canvas boards were completed, I attached them together using hinges. This is how it looks placed together. I loved how the gold mica flakes caught the sunlight and sparkled under the light when I was taking the pictures. It really adds a different touch to the look.


I then embellished the interior of the 'shadow boxes' now, adding on my favorite Prima laces to the border. I wanted to cover up the staples used to fasten the canvas onto the wood. For the 'shadow box' on the left, I added a family picture from our trip to Australia last October. That was the latest family photo we had. The rest of the time I was usually the photographer!

I added Prima flowers, flocked rub-ons and Say-it-in Crystals Swirls to embellish the photo. Converting that back part of the canvas into a shadow box meant that I had some depth to play with though I had to be mindful that the shadow boxes can still be closed together after all that layering and embellishing.For the 'shadow box' on the right, I cut out a piece of cardstock and converted it into a holder for a mini album that I made.


This is the mini album book that I had made to be stored inside the shadow box. It contains all my favourite pictures from our trip together. It's my first time creating a mini book and I opted to sew it together using a thick piece of felt string. Definitely fun to see the end result! I think I will be exploring other ways to create mini-books soon! I also had to remember to go easy on the embellishing and not create too much 'bulk' as it had to fit into the thickness of the shadow box...

Did you see the lovely Prima bird and birdcage Prima charms that I have tied onto the book? They are prefect for such projects and mixed media work. I have used up my current pack of charms and I will have to check out MWL to stock up. Hopefully there will be a stray pack of two still lying around...fingers crossed...


This is the interior of the canvas boards, converted into shadow boxes, fully assembled! I was so happy after completing this, I could shout for joy!


Some close-ups...


2 comments:

shaggyfish said...

wow... wow... and wows!!!
such inspiring idea!

yoksan said...

i fell in love with canvas after attending your butterfly class, and now THIS !!!!
thanks for sharing, you're awesome.